God You Are
Sometimes in our walk with God we have a real and tangible sense of his presence with us. It feels as though there is nothing that could draw us away from him. Other times, it can feel like our relationship with him is fading. It feels like we have failed to play our part, and that his love is beyond our reach. Still other times, we get so caught up in the busyness of life (often self-imposed) and forget to slow down, look around, and see where God is moving in the small moments.
I am definitely
guilty of this. There are so many things that I would like to do, people I would
like to help, new things I would like to learn. I get caught up in the moment
of trying to do, trying to make decisions and plan for the future. I get swept
up by the excitement of new adventures and possibilities, or paralysed by the stress
of knowing what is next. Yet all the while, God is working little miracles
around me every day. Every breath I take is a small miracle, the culmination of
thousands of different processes, all perfectly aligned and working in
conjunction to effect God’s will. The person sitting next to me is a testimony
of God’s goodness in the world, that he has made us each unique, gifted with different
passions and abilities. Different desires and hopes.
Yesterday as I was
processing books in the library, I had the blessing of having a friend come up
and talk to me for a while. This, one of the simplest interactions, is in some
senses the most profound. Having someone take the time to sit and listen, to
hear my heart, and to share a part of their own, is a small demonstration of
the love of God for each one of his children. It brings me such joy to reflect with
others on the ways that God moves and teaches us so many things through the different
stages of our lives. Yet though sometimes there is great joy, or even just small
celebrations, at others times there are tragedies, sorrows and hurt that seem
unexplainable.
In the song God You Are (by We Are Messengers), there are so many beautiful lines, and if you
have a chance to listen to it, I encourage you to just sit and let the lyrics
wash over you. Let them speak to your heart of who it is that we worship, and
his unending love and mercy upon us. But as you hear the words and allow them
to seep down into your being, it is my prayer that you would turn them back to
God. That in worship you would recognise that he is the holy God, high and set
apart.
Our God is a God
who steps into the dark.
Sometimes it feels
like there is no hope. The darkness closes in, and things that happen to us
seem meaningless. What good purpose could there possibly be for the pain? God
does not give us a clear answer of why things happen the way they do, but he steps
into our lives and pursues us with a love greater than we could ever imagine. This
song speaks to this, it proclaims that even as we were not seeking him, God was
calling our name. When we turned away, he still came. In our pain he does not
only call us into the light (Matt 4:16; Col 1:13; 1 Pet 2:9), but stepped into
that darkness so that he might bring us out of it (Ps 107:14; Mic 7:8). That is
the kind of God that he is.
Our God is a God
who turns ashes into art.
When all we can see are the broken pieces, the mistakes and the dead ends, God sees a masterpiece. He turns the messes of our lives into new life, into a beautiful tapestry that tells a story of his goodness and grace. There have been times in my life that feel like a fire has gone through and destroyed everything that could have been. The hopes and dreams I once had have been dashed. Things I have done now feel dead and meaningless. There are years that feel as though they have been wasted, that nothing good has or could ever come of them. Yet God takes our brokenness and turns it into something beautiful. Out of the ashes there is new life.
There are
green shoots that break through and bring hope and remind us that he is shaping
and moulding us despite the struggle. Though sometimes I can get down and think
to myself that I have messed up too many times, and wasted my ‘potential’ in different
areas, “I know nothing has been wasted, no failure or mistake. You’re an artist
and a potter, I’m the canvas and the clay” (Pat Barrett, Canvas and Clay).
One day, perhaps we will see the bigger picture. Maybe then we will get to look
and see that the ups and downs in life have created a beautiful piece of art that,
when pieced together with the other pieces of art (the other lives around us),
create an even greater masterpiece. I look forward to that day.
Our God is a God
whose love is written in his scars.
The chorus of this song
is another wonderful articulation of the overflowing love of God, the love that
knows no bounds, and is far beyond our comprehension.
It’s in the empty
tomb
It’s on the rugged cross
Your death-defying love
Is written in your scars
You’ll never quit on me
You’ll always hold my heart
‘cause that’s the kind of God you are
The life, death,
and resurrection of our Lord Jesus is the gospel. His love defies and conquers
death. Though we face the end of life on this earth, and are deeply saddened by
the loss of people close to us, his love overcomes, and gives us hope for new
life in him. Though we inflicted pain and suffering on him, he endured it for
our sake. He did not abandon us. He continues to hold our lives in his hands,
and to heal our broken hearts.
Sometimes, our
hearts feel full. Overflowing with joy and life. Sometimes, our hearts feel
empty. We feel like nothing is right in the world, and all hope is gone. There
are so many problems all around us. So many things that need doing. So many
people to help. They weight of everything feels like too much. And it is. We
are not made to bear the weight of the world on our shoulders. This afternoon I
was feeling overwhelmed. I had been considering the justice system in Aotearoa
and the rates of recidivism. I was trying to understand how we as the church can
participate in restoration for those returning into society after serving their
sentences. But it is so complicated. There are so many factors to consider, and
it all just seems so hard. It feels way too big. I am just one person and there
are thousands of people in our country who are facing these challenges as they
seek to be reintegrated into a society that still sees them as a criminal to be
feared. It is too big. Too big for me at least. But I know that my God who
steps into the dark, who turns ashes into art, and whose scars tell the story
of his love, is with me in this journey. He is with me in the dark, and he is
with all of those who are facing the uncertainty and fear of being released
from prison.
When everything
seems out of reach, and the future is unknown, God turns the mess of our lives
into beauty. He reframes it and covers it in his love. He gives us the freedom
to start again. He calls us his daughters and his sons, and invites us into
communion with him. He sees my heart and he loves it. Though I cannot change
the world, I can rest safe and secure in the fact that he can. And indeed, that
he has. It is my job, now, to be his hands and feet in the world where I am.
Remembering this has given me hope once more. Though I am powerless in my own strength,
it is not me who lives, but Christ in me. If I can be a light to even one
person, and show them a glimpse of my Saviour, then that is sufficient. If I
was unable to do anything practical with my life, it would not make me any less
valuable in God’s eyes. He loved me and died for me before I even was. He
imagined me and knew my story before the beginning of the world. Our God is so
great, he is holy, holy, holy, high and set apart.
Holy, holy, holy,
God that’s who you are.
Song Lyrics: God You Are - We Are Messengers
When I was young, You called my name
I tried to run but still You came
And You stepped into the dark
'cause that's just the kind of God You are
When heaven seems beyond my reach
You still see eternity in me
You're turning ashes into art
'cause that's just the kind of God You are
It’s in the empty tomb
It’s on the rugged cross
Your death-defying love
Is written in your scars
You’ll never quit on me
You’ll always hold my heart
‘cause that’s the kind of God you are
You gave me freedom from my sin
You told me I can start again
All the hurt is dead and gone
Now we're Your daughters and Your sons
Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
We once were lost, but now we're found
Forever You hold us in Your hands
'cause that's just the kind of God You are
You are holy, holy, holy, high and set apart
You are holy, holy, holy, God, that's who You are
You are holy, holy, holy, high and set apart
Holy, holy, holy, God, that's who You are

Comments