Change Isn't Always Easy
Growing up, change wasn’t always easy. It felt hard, uncomfortable, and left me with a sick and lonely feeling inside. On my first day of high school, I was so overwhelmed with emotions that I cried as I said goodbye to my mum at the car. The thought of a new place and new people wasn’t “scary” as such, I was looking forward to making new friends, meeting new teachers, and learning new things. But the thought of leaving everything I knew behind was daunting. What if this high school thing wasn’t what I was expecting it to be? What if the change wasn’t so good after all?
The thing with change is that, well, it is inevitable. Things
in life never stay the same. Houses get developed on land that used to be
covered in farmland or bush. New technologies and ways of doing things are created.
People grow up and move on. In the same minute there is new life beginning and someone
else’s life ending. Even nature itself demonstrates that God has built change
into our world as we experience the different seasons. Without change we would
stagnate. Growth requires change. We move from one way of being and doing, to
another.
As we enter spring, I am reminded of the beauty of change as
caterpillars metamorphosise into butterflies. That process is slow (sometimes
painfully slow for a child waiting to see the grand reveal). Yet, the gradual
changing of the chrysalis reminds us that change is happening even when we
cannot see it in its fullness. Though the butterfly’s emergence from its cocoon
is a thing of beauty, it is still not easy. It wrestles to get out from its
trappings and then must sit, vulnerable, as it straightens out and dries its
wings. When it finally takes flight, it is beauty of a new kind. Change is not
easy, but it is beautiful.
We are each in a world of change. Both as individuals and as
a community. This may be exciting, scary, daunting, sad, or a mix of a million
different emotions. And that is ok. As we look outside and see the beauty of
the flower about to burst into bloom, the sun peaking through the clouds, let
us remember that God has created us for change, and to be part of change. We
are called to bring about change and new hope into this world. Change is not
always easy, but it is beautiful.

Comments