Be the Moon
This afternoon I got to drive through the gorgeous countryside to Wellsford to do some training for election day. It was such a beautiful day with bright blue skies, silky clouds, and vibrant green pastures. Whenever I go through areas like this I am reminded of how amazing God's creation is and how grateful I am that I get to live in it and experience so much of it. On my trip I got to listen to lots of music as well - yay!
Thanks to Micaiah for putting me on to "Music Inspired by the Story," which is a compilation of songs by a whole bunch of artists that throughout the record tell the story of the bible, right from creation to Jesus to his return and restoration of the earth. It is a wonderful way to be able to experience music combined with great truth and hope - would definitely recommend!
On my way back, was 'Chris Tomlin and Friends' which again is a fantastic album full of songs that have beautiful lyrics as well as music. For me, lyrics are possibly the most important part of a song, maybe that is why music is something that really encourages me through difficult times and helps me celebrate in joyful moments.
I just wanted to share one of the songs which really spoke to me and where I am at currently.
"Be the Moon" is a song which speaks of us as God's creation, and being a reflection of who he is to the world. We are made in the image of God, and just as a piece of art reflects something of its creator, we too should reflect something of God. Being created by God does not make us equal with God or an exact replica of Him, just as a painting is not the same as the artist. "I'm just a reflection of the love that I've been given."
Often I find that I can get caught up in thinking about what I am going to do with my life (as I said in my last post). It is all too easy to follow the social norms of trying to think of how I am going to leave a legacy. What will I be remembered by? This song puts perfectly into words what I want my life to be a reflection of. I want to be remembered not for myself, but I want to be a light to the world. I want to point others to Christ, to our great redeemer and lover of our souls. I want to be a light upon a hill. I want to be the moon.
The moon by itself is nothing exciting to look at, it reflects the light of the sun and becomes something beautiful - pointing back to the ball of flames that gave it that light. I want to be the moon, I want to light up the dark at night, not through my own efforts, not because I am good enough or I bring hope, but because I reflect the amazing grace and love of the Son - Jesus. "If you're shining on me, I'm shining right back for you."
I love that this song also acknowledges that life is not always easy. Even with God, we can fall into despair. We can become discouraged or trapped in negative thoughts that darken our own skies and cover us with clouds. But He can break through the darkness. He will bring hope to the hopeless. He has conquered death and despair!
"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it" - John 1:5
"In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." - Matthew 5:16
Comments