A More Christlike God
I thought that in deciding to start using my blog again that I would be motivated to update it a little more often than I have been, but I have found it difficult to think of topics to write about, and even when I can think of something, to find the motivation and energy to sit down and actually type it out. It seems as though at this point, perhaps this space has just turned into me writing about each book that I read (which can sometimes be very spread out as I get busy or forget)!
Actually, some exciting news to start - I have officially graduated with my BSc as of October 6th 2020! Woohoo!!!
Secondly, I have been accepted into studying a Graduate Diploma in Theology at Laidlaw next year! I am so excited to take this next step. For a long time I have been very unsure and confused about where I am headed next in this journey. There are too many options of things I would love to do... continue study at UoA in pharmacology, do a diploma in secondary school education, get into some full time work to do with my degree, ministry of some description??? My mind was overwhelmed with options and I felt lost in how to decide. I don't really remember how Laidlaw and further biblical study came to mind, but somehow God planted that seed in my heart and it has grown and grown. I don't know what will come after this year, I suppose I will have to again go through this difficult time of decision and discernment of where he wants me to go. But today, I feel at peace. Whats more, I actually feel excited! These feelings and emotions are actually somewhat reminiscent of how I felt when I had decided to do Intermission back in 2016. I had been really unsure about going to Uni, about what I wanted to study, but somehow God led me to Carey and I was able to grow in my relationship with Him and understanding of the world and how I am called to mission in it. Mission is not only serving overseas, but also through the way I share the love of Christ through my everyday actions and interactions with people.
I am sure that throughout next year I will have a lot to think about and reflect on, and hopefully I will be able to set aside some time to write and share some of those thoughts.
One thing that I am encouraged by in my current decision making is the knowledge that God does not need me to be in a particular place to use me. My mission and my calling is to serve Him wholeheartedly wherever I am. Whether that be simply working at the Pie Shop, studying pharmacology, doing a research job, working with youth, teaching, preaching, or sitting writing a blog. We are called to honour him in all that we do and say.
Last week a bunch of us youth leaders travelled down to Forest Lakes, Otaki, for a leadership training course. There was so much that I got out of it, but one thing that stuck out to me from reading Psalm 23 down there, was verse 3.
"He guides me along right paths
for his names sake"
God does guide us, and he protects us. He is our shepherd, and leads us along peaceful streams, restoring our strength, but ultimately, all we do, we do for his glory. I am not called to study for study's sake, nor to make myself look good. I study to bring glory to the one who created the entire world. We are called to his work, along the right paths, for HIS name's sake. This is something that I need to continually remind myself of. When I get caught up in trying to do my best for my own sake, I need to remember that all I do, I do to honour Christ who gave his life for me.
On to the book. A More Christlike God by Bradley Jersak. This has been a massively challenging book for me, and has left me with more questions than answers - which I guess is not a bad thing.
In John 14:9, Jesus says "anyone who has seen me has seen the Father," and this statement of truth is one of the challenges that Jersak puts forward to the reader. He challenges us on our image of God that we have constructed and asks where they come from. Are they biblically sound? Is what we read of Jesus and his character consistent with that we believe to be true of God the Father? They are one and the same, so how can their character contradict?
Jersak introduced me to different ways of thinking about God, namely positive and negative theology. Negative theology, as it turns out, is not a theology of a negative and evil God, but rather, it is a way of "defining God by denying our definitions of God." For example, name any attribute of God we find in the bible, and then ask how he is not that... "God is a father, but how is he not a father?" "God is a shepherd, but how is he not a shepherd?" Jersak argues that this exercise is good to a point, as it prevents us from taking our human metaphors of God too far, and therefore restricting our understanding of who he is. God is bigger and greater than any single image we can have of him - which I think is an incredible truth to remember!!!
We do also need a positive theology though. Truths that we can declare by faith to be completely, 100% true, all of the time. For example "God is good and is never evil. God is love and every other aspect of God must align with his love. God is light and in him there is no darkness whatsoever."
I found that these two ways of thinking about God and his identity have been really helpful.
Some of the more challenging parts of the book for me have come later, and are about our understanding of wrath and how this has been shaped by tradition. It challenges this view and considers the impact of sin and Gods great love in giving himself completely, in loving us so much that he would allow us to make our own decisions and face the consequences of them. Sometimes I think that we can become fixed in our ways of thinking and are not open to listening to different perspectives. As I am still trying to work it all out, I don't want to try to unpack it all here in case I misrepresent what is being said, but I would definitely recommend others to read this also.
At the end of the book, there is a poem that I have promptly fallen in love with:
Frederick Lehman
The love of God is greater far
Than tongue or pen can ever tell;
It goes beyond the highest star,
And reaches to the lowest hell;
The guilty pair, bowed down with care,
God gave His Son to win;
His erring child He reconciled,
And pardoned from his sin.
O love of God, how rich and pure!
How measureless and strong!
It shall forevermore endure
The saints' and angels' song.
When years of time shall pass away,
And earthly thrones and kingdoms fall,
When men, who here refuse to pray,
On rocks and hills and mountains call,
God's love so sure, shall still endure,
All measureless and strong;
Redeeming grace to Adam's race -
The saints' and angels' song.
O love of God, how rich and pure!
How measureless and strong!
It shall forevermore endure
The saints' and angels' song.
Could we with ink the ocean fill,
And were the skies of parchment made,
Were every stalk on earth a quill,
And every man a scribe by trade,
To write the love of God above,
Would drain the ocean dry.
Nor could the scroll contain the whole,
Though stretched from sky to sky.
O love of God, how rich and pure!
How measureless and strong!
It shall forevermore endure
The saints' and angels' song.
How beautiful and true! As I read more and spend more time with God, I am coming to know more and more how amazing and full of love he is. God endures, and his love is never failing. He continues to seek after us, no matter how many times we trip and fall. No matter how many times we turn our backs on him, he pursues us with his love. A self sacrificing and consensual love. A love that does not force itself on others, but gently guides and draws us to itself. A love that is so great that we cannot fathom it.
Ephesians 3:14-21"When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in our hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. may you experience the love of Christ though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God. Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen."

Comments